By Fredrica Syren:
So many on Instagram ask for recipes when I cook something that I decided I need to post some of them here on Green-Mom.com. You can also find lots of my old recipes under recipes on the left hand bar categories.
This week is my last week with all three kids home because my oldest Bella is going back to school. I have to say it’s been fun to have all three of them here at lunch for over two month. Today I’m posting my kids friendly vegan pasta sauce. It’s one of my kid’s favorite pasta sauces for sure and I love it because it’s loaded with nutrients and vegetables. Don’t let the long ingredient list fool you because it’s a super easy and fast sauce to make. I served it tossed with whole-wheat spaghetti and grated cheese
- ½ cup red lentils, rinsed three times
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 cup water
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ cup zucchini, diced
- ½ small red bell pepper, diced
- ½ vegan bouillon cube
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 tsp. chili powder (more if you wish to have it spicy)
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Fresh herbs of your choice, minced (used what I had in my garden; basil, parsley and chives)
- ¼ cup soy cream cheese
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil on medium heat in a pot and sauté garlic and onion for 1 minute.
- Add lentils, water, zucchini, belle pepper, bouillon cube, tomatoes, tomato puree, chili pepper and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir a few times.
- Remove from heat and add cream cheese and fresh herbs.
- Mix in blender or with a hand held blender for a just a short pulse.
- You still want some pieces of veggies left.
- Add salt if needed and toss with favorite pasta.