I had lots of lovely, fresh spinach from my CSA box and I wanted to make something even Bella would like. When I was a child I loved spinach and one of the first things I ever cooked was spinach soup. So this is my very first recipe! Creamy spinach soup even kids will like.
Spinach is a super food with great amount of iron and is extremely rich in antioxidants, vitamin K, C and A. However, the taste of spinach can make it hard to get children to eat it, but this soup has a ever so slightly sweet hint from the almond milk. Bella who is dead set against spinach loved it. I served it with cheese scones.
1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped very fine
1 tbs canola oil
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped fine
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tbs All-purpose flour
2 cups Almond milk
1/2 cup sour cream
- Heat oil in a pot on medium heat, saute onions until glossy, about 3 minutes.
- Add spinach and saute until wilted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and flour and blend well until you have almost a paste.
- Add almond milk, stir and blend everything well to remove any lumps.
- Bring to boil while stirring.
- Bring to a simmer and continue to stir until it has thicken, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream, blend well before serving.