Noah has been a little crank today. I think his teeth are bothering him and the only way to keep him calm has been to strap him to my chest and cook. No I’m not kidding, this kid will relax and even fall asleep while I’m cooking and even using the cuisinart. I think it’s a sound he’s familiar with since his time in the womb so it’s calming. I don’t know but I know it works so I cook away.
So what did we cook? A quiche with swiss chard and mushrooms and it was heavenly and I ate it for lunch with a nice green salad. traditional quiches are made with eggs and if you are a vegetarian then that’s easy but to make it vegan is a little trickier but not impossible. I used tofu instead and it worked great.
2 cup spelt flour
4 ounces butter
1-2 tbs cold water
- Preheat oven to F400.
- Blend everything to dough and press it into a pie mold,
- Prick bottom with a form a few times.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes or until crust is dry and partially baked.
- Add filling and bake for 30 minutes.
4 cups chopped and lightly steamed swiss chard
1 cup mushrooms, chopped and fried ( I used oyster mushrooms)
1 tbs herb salt
1 cup chive and garlic flavored cream cheese
1 cup firm tofu
1/2 cup salsa
- Place tofu, herb salt, cream cheese and salsa in a bowl or use a cuisinart to blend really well until there any no lumps at all.
- Add swiss chard and mushrooms and mix.
- Pour into the partial baked pie crust and bake according to instructions above, 30 minutes. Enjoy with a nice crisp salad.