- Heat oil in a pot on medium heat and saute onion and garlic for a few minutes until glossy but not brown.
- Add corn, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, broth, ketchup and agave nectar.
- Reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cream, salt, pepper and blend soup in blender or food processor until creamy and smooth. Return to pot and reheat.
- Add cheese and fresh thyme right before serving.
- Enjoy alone or with a grilled cheese sandwich.
Spicy and Cheesy Tomato Soup
After a long day in town I came home and found that my husband had made lunch and feed the kids and they were now all napping so I was on my own. It was like having a date with myself so I made a soup which I ate outside on the patio, while reading a Swedish cook book I just bought. Yes I read cook books like others read novels.
The soup is wonderfully cheesy and spicy because I mixed in some pepper jack rice cheese. If you don’t care for spicy or if you are cooking for kids, just use a non-spicy cheese instead.
1 yellow onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tbs olive oil
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 cup corn
1/2 cup sugar snap peas, cut into half
1,5 cup vegetable broth
2 tbs ketchup
1 tbs agave nectar
1/2 cup cream (I used mimic cream)
Salt & black pepper to taste
1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
2 tbs fresh thyme, minced