I think most of us have heard of overnight oats by now, and most of us have tried it. As a busy mom of three whose husband is gone a lot for work, overnight oats has been a lifesaver. I mean, what’s not to love; it’s a filling, healthful and easy-to-make-ahead breakfast option. Also, since overnight oats in general are served chilled, it’s a perfect breakfast (or snack) for those of us who live in warm climates like San Diego. Plus, I really love how overnight oats tend to keep the integrity of the oat intact and not get mushy.
For those unfamiliar with overnight oats, it’s a noncooking method of making oatmeal by mixing oats with milk and other fun mix-ins then letting it rest in the fridge until served.
First, overnight oats tend to keep for a few days in the fridge, so I like to make a batch that will last me through a couple of snacks or breakfasts. I also like to make mine in mason jars because they’re easy to store or grab to go — and, let’s face it, any food served in a mason jar is fun.
For the oats, I like to use Bob’s Red Mill gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats just because instant oats will get mushy and I’m not into that at all. I also use almond milk, but of course any milk will work as well. You can serve the oatmeal with toppings like fruit, berries, nuts, seeds and other fun goodies. I like to put them on the table so each kid can add what s/he likes.
Almond Butter Overnight Oats Recipe
- 1 large ripe/spotty banana, mashed
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- ½ vanilla bean: slice open and scrape out seeds
- Fresh fruit and berries
- Coconut flakes
- Hemp seeds
- Bee pollen
- Maple syrup
- Nuts and seeds
- Raw Cocoa nibs
- Mash the banana in a small bowl with the vanilla bean until smooth.
- Stir in the chia seeds until combined.
- Add the oats, almond milk and almond butter, and blend until well mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, stir the oats to combine.
- Serve with all kinds of fun toppings from list above.