By Fredrica Syren:
After the non-stop eating of the holiday and feeling, well, shall we say “well fed,” I’ve been craving healthy, lighter foods. These lettuce wraps are perfect for a light but very flavorful meal. (My kids absolutely love eating lettuce wraps but can’t agree if they’re like burritos or tacos. This recipe is inspired by one in Green Kitchen Stories, which is another great site for wonderful meatless options.
- 1 cup rice noodles cooked according to directions
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups of Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 Tbsp. Bragg’s liquid aminos or tamari
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced
- Crispy lettuce leaves, washed and separated
- Kimchi (spicy fermented vegetables)
Heat oil in a wok on medium heat, and sauté ginger and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Add spinach and carrots, and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in Bragg’s liquid aminos, lemon juice and coconut. Spoon filling into lettuce leaves with a little kimchi. Sprinkle cilantro on top before serving.