By Julie Zeff
I bet you’re busy — especially as the holidays draw near. Do you own a business or work from home? Maybe you have a family or volunteer in your community. How’s that work-life balance coming along?
If you are like most of the people I know, then you’d probably like to have more time for yourself in your busy life. I call this “Me Time” — you know, that time that replenishes you, that time that you carve out just for yourself in order to slow down or do something exciting and fun.
How much time do you spend on yourself each day? Where do YOU fall on your to-do list — at the top, in the middle or dead-last? Most people put themselves last and think that they can’t afford to make time for themselves. They think their work or family will suffer if they take time out of their busy schedules for themselves.
Actually, it is just the opposite. The more rejuvenating time you carve out for yourself, the more energy you’ll have to give to your work, family and anything else you choose. When you fill yourself up first, you have exponentially more to give.
Just 5 minutes a day will help you refuel, find more balance and ease, and put more smiles back in your busy work life.
Here are some Me Time tips to slip into your work day and life.
1. Date Yourself. Make a date with yourself at least once a day. Go for a walk around the block; smell some flowers; go for tea/coffee; sit on your front or back stoop for 5 minutes and watch the world go by. Get creative.
2. Connect. Call one friend/family member that you like to talk to during your drive home from work each day, or — if you work from home — call during your lunch break and have a “lunch date” over the phone. This can be a great, structured way to stay connected. Or, email a friend/family member just for fun each day.
3. Breathe. Set a daily reminder on your calendar to breathe. Then take 30 seconds to close your eyes, maybe even put your hand on your heart and focus only on the sound and feeling of your breath.
4. Music. Put on music you love in the background while you work. Or, take a break and play a song you like, maybe even sing along.
5. Dance. Get up and do a little dance. Get movin’ anytime you want a break or feel really tired.
6. Read. Take 5 minutes and read a chapter from a fun book or a few pages of your favorite magazine.
7. Me Time List. List any/everything you could possible do during Me Time. List all of the things that you’ve heard yourself say, “Some day I’d like to (fill in the blank).” Put anything on your list that you’ve seen others do but only have wished you could do. Then, pick one thing from your list to do each day. And do it!
8. Say “Yes” to YOU! Negotiate with your boss, clients, spouse, or even with yourself. Say “NO” to pressure, guilt and excuses. Say “YES!” to what inspires and excites YOU. Make yourself a priority. No one else is going to carve out the time for YOU.
Try it for just one week. Take some time for yourself every day this week. Just 5 minutes will do. Renew your spirit. You deserve it. See what changes. I bet you’ll be infinitely more productive. Just a little Me Time each day will help you create and live just the work-life you want to live.
Julie Zeff is a Life Coach for busy and working moms; Author of Vivid Living for Busy Moms: Coach Yourself to an Extraordinary Life; and a trained Forest Yoga instructor. Request her FREE report – Top 10 Tips to Vivid Living or receive her FREE Monthly Coaching Tidbits and 5 Anytime, Anywhere Breathing Tips by visiting: http://www.vividliving.net. Download a FREE peek of her book, Vivid Living For Busy Moms here: http://vividliving.net/julies-book