By Fredrica Syren:
A year ago, I was introduced to the wonderful (and nice smelling) world of essential oils when a friend gave me some oils to help with my boys’ persistent cough. I was amazed at how well it worked, so I took a class in making household cleaners with essential oils.
A couple of weeks ago, my friend Mikaela, another green mom, came over to my house to make a video of using essential oils especially for kids. She also taught me how to make homemade playdough with essential oils. I love this recipe because it’s so easy to make and very inexpensive. My kids are totally O-B-S-E-S-S-E-D. with this playdough and like the smell of it. Adding essential oils to playdough or any kids’ art and crafts not only makes it smell pretty, but
Here is the YouTube video:
- 2 cups flour
• 1 cup salt
• 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
• 1 tablespoon oil
• 2 cups cold water
• A few drops of any essential oil
• Food coloring, optional ( I used spiraling powder but you can also use beets or blueberry powder or turmeric)
Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar, oil, and water in a medium saucepan.
Stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until play dough has reach the right consistency.
Let cool, split into 3 balls, then knead in essential oils and optional food coloring until it is distributed evenly throughout each ball of play dough.
Store in airtight container.
Essential Oils I like for my kids:
- Lemon—Uplifting and helps focus
- Orange—Supports healthy digestion
- Thieves Oils—Boosts immune system, and kills bacteria and viruses
- Peppermint—Uplifting and good for digestion
- Peace and Calming—Name almost says it all; it’s calming without making you sleepy.
If you are interested in buying Young Living Essential oils follow this link.