By Fredrica Syren:
Between my husband’s being gluten and lactose intolerant and my being vegan, baking surely is a challenge. Challenging but not impossible☺ During the cold season, I like to make muffins for the kids to eat when we’re outside, and these banana muffins are perfect for that. They are low in sugar and healthy; contain no eggs, dairy or gluten; and, best of all, TASTE GREAT!!!!!
- 2 Tbsp. flax seed meal + 5 Tbsp. water
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar, maple syrup or honey
- 3 Tbsp. almond milk
- ½ vanilla bean, split open, seeds scraped out and used
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup hazelnut meal (ground from raw hazelnuts)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. buckwheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with 8 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix flaxseed + water and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Next, add bananas and mash. Add agave, baking powder, vanilla bean, almond milk and blend.
- Add hazelnut meal and buckwheat flour, and stir once more.
- Pour batter into muffin tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean and they become somewhat firm with a little give to the touch.
- Remove and let rest in pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.