By Amanda Wilkes:
My boyfriend and I are proud pet owners of a 2 ½-year-old English Labrador, whom we treat and spoil as if it were our firstborn child. Our little fur baby always has been healthy, happy and full of love. However, last week we faced a full-blown nightmare after treating our pup with Frontline Plus, which is a flea treatment sold in most major pet stores.
He’d had only two Frontline flea treatments in his life, both when we lived on the beach where fleas were in abundance. His most recent treatment was after traveling to Utah,where we visited a farm and our baby made plenty of new barn animal friends and ran through fields of high grass. Immediately after our trip, we noticed that he started itchingand biting himself regularly.
I had a lot of hesitation about treating him with toxic flea medication, especially with all my new knowledge about the effectiveness of nontoxic DIY treatments that can be found for nearly anything. But at the end of the day, I figured he had already been treated with Frontline Plus twice before, had shown no problematic symptoms, and almost immediately was rid of the fleas. That day my boyfriend applied the proper dosage for his weight (45-88 lbs.) and we moved on with our normal day. Little did we know that we would be igniting the nightmare soon to follow.
We woke up the following morning to the horrific sound of our poor pup whining and crying. What we found when we saw him was even more horrific: he was shaking like a leaf and couldn’t walk — couldn’t even turn his neck to look at us. He was a completely different dog than we had said goodnight to. We immediately called our veterinarian, who asked if we had recently treated him with any medications. At that moment, we realized Frontline Plus was most likely the culprit.
I will state that there is no fullproof way to be sure that this was the result of treating our dog with Frontline Plus; however, we found hundreds of other pet owners’ testimonials claiming the exact symptoms as our dogs’ and in some cases even worse symptoms or death. We even found a website dedicated to banning the sale of Frontline Plus and for pet owners to review their experience with the product.
It was terrifying knowing that our pup was one among hundreds, maybe even thousands, who have experienced this nightmare. Please, please, please review the following sites before treating your pets with Frontline.
I cannot believe I was the person who thought I was giving my fur baby medication to help him feel better, when in reality I was poisoning him with potent pesticides directly on his highly absorbent skin. You cannot imagine the guilt and terror I felt after using this horrific product. I should have been more responsible and done more research about the product and potential side effects.
Thankfully I am happy to report that, after a torturous day of symptoms and a good night’s rest, our puppy made a full recovery. I promised him all day long that I would never treat him with any type of flea medication ever again, that I would never treat him with something without researching it first, that he would be receiving only all-natural flea baths from now on and that I would spread that word to as many other pet owners about the horrible experience we had using Frontline Plus.
Even though that was the worst nightmare that we have experienced with our pup so far, it could have ended so much worse. We are so thankful that he made a full recovery and is back to being the happiest dog in the world. Please be sure to spread the word about Frontline Plus and try using one of the natural flea treatment remedies below!